SAFE DRIVING FOR WATER SKIING
- Make sure ski rope is taut before taking off.
- When skier is jumping into water from boat, make them jump on up current/upwind side.
- Always travel on starboard side of channel, leaving plenty of room for skier to ski.
- Always have an observer in the boat. There are usually minimum age regulations for an observer.
- Never cut across the path of an oncoming boat.
- Trim the engine up when under way to achieve better fuel economy.
- Always switch engine off before skier climbs back on to boat.
- Driver must keep skier sighted when drawing alongside to pass rope.
- Never reverse when boat near skier in water.
- Avoid rope tangles with propeller.
- Always look left and right before doing a beach start.
- Have observer pull in rope as soon as skier finished. Never leave rope trailing.
- Never allow skier to wrap rope around a limb whilst in water.
- Put boat between fallen skier and oncoming boats.
- Skier should signal ok after a fall.
- Never come in against traffic when approaching ski beach.
- Concentrate on what's in front (80%), at sides (10%), and behind (10%) when driving.
- Ensure observer knows their role.
- Ensure driver, observer, and skier agree on meanings of signals before taking off. e.g know what hand signals to use to go faster/slower.
Boat Licence Online Study Quizzes
Free Boat Licence online study quizzes now available for each state.» Click here to access the study quizzes«
- Free Learners Guide PDF
Download Learner Guide PDF (4.6MB)» Click here to download guide «
- Training Videos
See driver tasks for your boat licence test» Click here to view training videos «